Monday, January 14, 2013

My Coats


You know why I write? I write because I have all of these thoughts in my head, swimming around like a school of minnows bumping into each other at every turn. And if I don’t do something with them, make something of them, they will build up until my head explodes. Lately I have had so much going through my mind, but I haven’t exactly known how to put it all into words. I have tried writing a blog so many times in the past month. But nothing seems to come out. And how am I expected to sleep at night, or focus on school or other things with all of these things floating around in my head? Well that’s an excellent question.

Do you ever just get caught up in life? So caught up in the brilliance or the happiness that one thing brings you, that you let other aspects of your life slip down that extremely long list of priorities to the point where this is how your list looks:

Priority Number One

















Every other priority.

Like you get a new coat, for instance. That coat is gorgeous and shiny and new and you love it unlike any other coat you’ve had before. But just because you have that new coat, doesn’t mean you have to wear it every single day. You have other coats and sweaters you can wear. And even if you put on a sweater, you don’t have to wear the coat with that sweater too. You can wear your other coats and sweaters equally. Even if for short periods of time, or whenever you can.
Okay that may be a really dumb metaphor of my life. But it is what it is. It is ridiculous how out of hand things can get sometimes. When you get caught up in life. You wear your new coat all the time and take for granted all of the other wonderful coats you have in your closet that just want to be worn or even a glance in it’s direction.
Life can be strange sometimes. One moment you think you have everything that you’ve ever wanted, and the next moment things are slipping away. You leave things on the back burner a little bit too long. When one thing makes you so unbelievably happy that you forget about all of the other things in life that make you happy too. You’re not doing the job that you’re supposed to be doing. As the wearer of your coats, it is your duty to give all of your coats attention, not just one or two of them. In return, if you show your coats love and care, they will in the end be there for you on a cold, wintry day, like today for instance.

In the midst of all this coat-wearing and not coat-wearing confusion that I’m bringing to you, I have been awaken to mistakes that I make. But I cant be the only person this happens to right? I’m not saying that it is fair or right, but when you get a new pair of shoes or a new coat, you really just want to wear it all the time, don’t you? Isn’t that somehow a part of human nature. At least human nature as it has evolved into the 21st century. Little kids with new toys, they either end up wanting to play with their new toy all the time (or they will play with the box that the toy comes in, which is irrelevant in this case).

Now I’m not saying that I don’t absolutely love my new coat with all of my heart. Because I do. I’m just saying that I’ve realized my errors in wearing this new coat far too often, and not giving any of my other coats any of my attention and that is certainly not fair. I know that if the situation were reversed, if I were the coats, and the wearer always chose a new coat over me, I would be very displeased. And the worst part is, that I tried wearing the other coats gradually more and more, it just got a little mixed up in the process. Although, I do know now what I have to do. And I plan on doing it still, even if my coats don’t want me to wear them anymore. I’m going to anyways. I’ll do my best to be fair and just for all.

Despite all of this coat-wearing, it has been far too long, once again, since I have written. We could even go so far to say that my blog has been one of my “coats” that I’ve hung in the back of the closet for awhile. I really have tried to write, though. I have about six half-written blogs that I just didn’t enjoy myself enough to finish and publish them. So what has happened since my last blog? Other than my coat problems I’ve been having.
Well there was Christmas. This year it was a smaller one. But it was quite cozy and nice to be with family, as always. We did end up having a very white Christmas, and it’s been white nearly day to day since then. If it were up to me, which it clearly isn’t if you take a peek out your window, I would love to have snow from December 20th to about January 2nd and then it would all go away. Wouldn’t that be nice; if we could choose the weather we’d like to have. Or even the days we’d like to have. I know that I would always want to choose to have a good day, wouldn’t you? But then we wouldn’t cherish those great days as much if we didn’t have the not-so-great days to compare them to. They would all just be good days. Not bad, not great, just good.
And then there was New Years. An out of the ordinary New Years, I might say, but one I will never ever forget. Hopefully the first of many to come like it.
I finished winter break strong and it was very fun. And back to school we went. I now see why some households do not allow to have TVs in the bedroom, though, because it keeps from people communicating and coming together. School itself looks very promising, though. Not that people ever want to read in their free time about school. Most people don’t even like to read in their free time at all, so why are you reading this??? Just kidding, I’m glad you are. But my classes, all four of them, seem to look like I will enjoy them. English Lit, Astronomy, Shakespeare, and Teaching/Learning. All very interesting, and the best part is that most of them don’t have exams in them. Just readings and papers. Which I prefer.
But enough about school. Eight sentences is enough to last anyone forever about school.
How about life? Just taking it one day at a time. Making mistakes, fixing mistakes, having fun, sleeping (a lot), eating (a lot). Oh I tried to train for a half-marathon with joey and mags, and I gave up. I still want to exceed my running skills further, but in the short amount of time to train, being how out of shape I am currently, it’s going to take a little longer than eight weeks to get me in shape. And it’s not a physical thing exactly. Definitely more mental in my case. I’ve never ever been much of a long distance runner. Or a runner period. The only running I did in track was the running I had to and which only included sprints. Now sprints I can do.
Some aspects of life are great, some are so/so, some need improvement. But hey, I’m alive, healthy (knock on wood, the flu is going around), I have wonderful people in my life. I just need to focus on being happy about everything and with what I do have. And not taking things for granted. That is my overall lesson of the day, in case you couldn’t tell with my coat metaphor. So here we go, with life. Oh, and since it’s officially been over a year since I’ve started my blog, I may not make another Year In Review blog, but here’s some of my new years resolutions:
Smile more
Cherish the little things
Pray every single day for the things and the people I have in my life
Be happy
Procrastinate Less
Write more
Run more (that one’s a doozy)

Easy enough, right? We’ll see.
Off to do homework, because I’m not procrastinating remember? Oh wait, it’s due tomorrow. Hey it’s only been two weeks into the New Year, I’m not a miracle worker.
Bye for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment