Friday, May 17, 2013

A Fish Tale

There's this rumor going around that if one drifts out of reach, that there's plenty of fish left in the sea. Well, pardon me, but I certainly beg to differ. Perhaps you're not a salt water fish, what then you have maybe an area of 50 to a hundred or maybe more feet of fish. Now how many fish can that really hold? Or on the contrary, maybe you're lucky enough to travel the swift moving current and meet a little bit larger bunch of fish as you travel in one way or another. And if you are lucky enough to have the choice of all the fish in the sea... Which sea might that be? The Red? The Berring? Or possibly all of the Seven. Well if I were a fish seeking another, I would prefer my smorgasbord be a pick of all in the ocean. Any ocean in particular. Since the seas lie within the oceans. But even then, I would still have my limitations. What with age, gender, size, species. I'm sure that would still leave me a sizable group to choose from. But I'm not the fish in this scenario. However there was one in particular I was looking for. After using up nearly all of my bait, breaking hook after hook after hook. Spinners, sparkly and dangly things. Shiny. Some big some small. But never enough to quite hook the one that I not only wanted, but needed. Until the day that I cast my last hook out. An overcast day turned to storm. And anyone who knows me knows that I hate the wind and it ripped and roared. But after all that trouble, all that bait I used to try to hook the perfect fish. I couldn't turn in just because of a hiccup in the weather. Call it fate, destiny, luck, God's own hand, what have you. But I cast out the last of everything I had. All my chips in. And when I hooked that baby I knew it was the one. I felt it as I reeled as fast and as strong as I possibly could, knowing or not knowing that this could possibly be my last fish I'd ever catch. 
Only to my dearest and honest surprise, I wasn't reeling in the big fish I had been expecting. 
Somehow, some way, my line (lifeline if you will) entangled and crossed paths with another. Another soul searching fisherman with his life on the line. And I don't know what power was behind those crossing lines, but it was better than a fish that any river, lake, sea, or any ocean could hold combined. And the funny thing about it was, I was putting my hand into a hat that I didn't know how big, or that it even existed in that moment. Because what I ended up fishing for was not a slimy twitchy thing that you can find in any old pond or river. What I found was guidance, support, and love that no fish could ever in a million years provide. 
And when you have nothing left to give, why not give it your all? You might come out on top of the world being the most blessed and lucky girl anyone had ever known. 
I'm sure you've heard a big fish tale or two in your lifetime, and if not you will soon. But believe it or not, what I caught, was bigger and worth more than you'll ever seen in a thousand lifetimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment